Wednesday, October 14, 2009
















Okay, so I realize it has been an insane amount of time since my last post....but here I am. The kids started school and I LOVE it. I am always amazed by God's wisdom. It doesn't matter how many times He shows me I am always amazed. God knew what I could handle and what I needed to hand over. The kids are all doing amazing in school. Weyni's school is a perfect match for her. There are other Africans there and just kids that understand culture shock. She is still behind in some of her classes but we're working on that.
We have had some really great highs and some really traumatic lows the last couple of months. God has set our feet on solid ground once again though. He is showing me daily how I just have to ask him and He renews my strength. I love those times when I don't even have to ask Him and he renews my strength and gives me the desires of my heart I didn't know I had. (Yes I know another run-on!) Adopting a teenage girl definitely isn't for the faint of heart! She is precious though. Those times when she is just hanging out and lets her guard down. It truly allow me to see a glimpse of God's love for us. She told me other day "I know I am happy in my heart and I love my family, I just get sad." aka...I have grief and I don't know how to handle it so I act out!!
God has been showing us so many things lately. He has renewed my vision for older child adoption, which I am sad to say had been dampened over the last year. Sometimes when you are down in the valley it is so hard to see God's plan for your life. Then you remember its not important you see it, its just important that you follow whole-hearted!It's so hard sometimes to see your child struggling just to be in this country. You just begin to wonder if this whole thing doesn't make their life more difficult. Sometimes I still don't know, but I know my God. I know what He has called us to do. So I also know that He has planned for Weyni to be in this family since the beginning of time. So I just have to wait for His plan to unfold so I can rejoice with Him. Thank goodness we don't have to wait for His whole plan to be revealed to rejoice! We get to enjoy her here and now.
Well here are some pictures of our re-adoption in the states and our celebration at an Ethiopian restaurant. It was a very emotional day for all of us. Especially Weyni. It was the permission to grasp onto her new life and to release some of the past. It was hard for her to let go of some of the things she's always known. But I feel like she is allowing herself to embrace us now.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Thank you for sharing your heart issues with us. I've been thinking and praying for your family a lot over the last eight months, and wondering how Freweyni has been adjusting to American life. She is such a beautiful girl! The small moments I was able to spend with her at the airport and on the plain ride home have made a big impression on my heart, and I just love Freweyni so much. So much personality and a big heart. Another of God's beautiful children.

"Indescribable" said...

Adoption is hard - and older children are that much more complex! I wonder the same about our guy - he loves his old life so much and I feel so bad about taking him from it - then God tells me I didn't take him from the poverty, He delivered us to him and we're a different kind of family that I had in mind....so I give it up to God and wait to see what He has in store for us next! (Thanking Him all the time!)

Great to see your update.
Maria

Kimmie said...

Oh May the Lord bless and keep you and give you the love that is needed to free Freweyni from what is holding her back from fully being a part of the family God has chosen for her.

Praying that God shows you ways to minister His healing to her heart and to yours as well.

God is so much bigger than we ask or think. Asking Him to show you just how BIG He really is in this situation.

Sending you a hug and praying blessing and favor over your lives.

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Melanie said...

Thank you for your post. I can realte to what you are going through. Jordyn has been with us for 2 yrs now and we still havesome hard days. She still grieves and I think that adopting Jailynn brought alot of the grief up to the surface. We are working thorugh it. The toughest part can be the jealousy factor and the us/them mentality with our bio kiddos. I try so hard to get through that hurdle but it is hard. Then there are days where she is just a hppy loving little girl enjoying life. I know that I just love her more than she will ever know or understand and I hope to do the best that I can. It takes lots of sweat,tears, and prayers but it also brings more joy and happines than i thought was possible. Keep leaning on the Lord. That is all we can do.
Love, Melanie

Charisa said...

Dominique,

I just LOVE you gal!

Charisa