Monday, January 11, 2010

Gotcha Day!


Freweyni making Injera!



F Bday party!


One year ago today we were very nervously meeting our daughter. I was wondering if she was as tall as they said she was (which would have put her about 3 inches taller than me), I was wondering what she would think of us, how much english she knew.....etc. She was not as tall as they she was and knew less english for sure:) It was such an amazing moment! We embraced immediately and the emotion was completely overwhelming! We played charades for the next week and learned how great sunglasses were. This year has been a full year. It seems like years ago that we spent 30 hours flying back to and wondering if all our kids would love each other. I could have never imagined the journey God had for us.
I am watching our daughter prepare for us Doro Wat to celebrate our special day. She celebrated her 15th bday on the 1st. She is definitely a young lady. She has mastered the art of sarcasm, the mp3 player and how to love her family. She is doing great in school and still loves High School Musical. Here is a few pics. She is finishing up then we're going to eat some injera and himbasha bread!! See that is one of the great things of older child adoption:)

5 comments:

"Indescribable" said...

Wow! that year flew by! I remember seeing the pic of you with her at HH and feeling that she was one lucky girl! Thanks for sharing!

Kimmie said...

What a beautiful young woman F has become. You certainly did have a very full year! It doesn't seem possible that it has been a year since I met you...a year since God had us in Ethiopia...a year since we walked from the Union Hotel to Hannah's Hope...the time sure did go by too fast.

thank you for sharing your journey with us.

happy celebration my friend!

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted
*expecting again...from Ethiopia!

Our journey said...

She is amazing Dominique! I can't believe a year has passed already. IT seems like yesterday we were walking through those gates...

Charisa said...

Love it! I have been blessed to be part of your journey...if it's only by computer and phone! God has surely blessed all of you with each other!

Melanie said...

Hi Dominque!
Thank you for your comment. Your daughter is just beautiful!! How wonderful that she can cook for you! Feel free to call me tonight if you check this email. I am at work: 469-698-1650 or email me your number at
melaniekk23@aol.com and I can call you back. My 2 girls have picked up sarcasm really as fast as they learned English! Funny how that happens.
Blessings,
Melanie